Duque says Covid-19 cases in the country ‘contained’

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III expressed his belief on Wednesday, 8 June that the government has already “contained” the Covid-19 cases, more than two years since the pandemic started.,“So far, given our measures, our interventions, it looks like we already contained [it], and the data will support that claim,” Duque said during his interview in Kapihan sa Manila Bay.,Earlier, the Department of Health (DoH) said that the country remained under low-risk case classification for Covid-19 despite a “slight uptick” in the number of Covid-19 cases.,It also noted that the country’s average daily attack rate is still less than 1 per 100,000 population.,However, the outgoing chief of the Department of Health (DoH) warned that the public must not be complacent as the country is not out in the woods yet.,“At the same time, we are realistic to accept the fact that this virus is notorious for mutations,” he said. “It is capable of springing surprises at every turn.”,Duque cited that in December last year, the country only reported at least 200 cases per day, however, the situation rapidly changed the following month as cases increased following the emergence of the highly transmissible Omicron variant.,“The challenge here is the unpredictability of the virus. You will never know what will be its next mutations,” he added.,He also gave a piece of advice to the next administration on the proposals to lift the state of calamity due to Covid-19. ,“I hope the new president will assess the situation and if there is any plan to lift it,” Duque said.,“I hope they will really take time to study and to look at the metrics and what new information and science offer in terms of the evolving variants of concern,” he added.,The Philippines is currently under a state of calamity until September.